Monday 13 September 2010

A monster in the Minnows

Everything was set for a days Roach Fishing:
  1. New 13 foot float rod - check
  2. Centre pin with snazzy new floating line - check
  3. 3 pints of Maggots - check
  4. Favourite swim  - check
A flick of the rod and my float hit the water,  seconds passed and the float dipped down, a gentle strike and a fish became attached to my hook. A minnow.

I gave the minnow a polite goodbye and recast a little further away, my float disappeared - another minnow. This turn of events repeated for over an hour, no matter where I put my bait a minnow attached itself to my hook or stole my bait within seconds.

As I thought about changing swim my float dived below the rivers' steady flow. I struck and then everything went crazy. Whatever I had hooked shot across the river and made for the safety of the hollowed out bank. My new float rod managed to alter it's rocket like trajectory at the last moment and the unseen monster shook it's head in frustration.

After further negotiation I managed to get the fish to surface, rather than being greeted with an insane, cracked up Trout as I expected,  a pair of murderous eyes stared back at me.

A Pike.

Only a jack, but my first pike never the less. As I  maneuvered the angry Esox into my net I saw my size 16 hook was caught on the edge of it's mouth - just away from it's sharp teeth. After saying a quick hello and grabbing a photo I returned him to the river. As he slipped out of my hands I wished him good luck in his Pikey duties and a good day in thinning down the local minnow population.

No comments:

Post a Comment