Monday 12 April 2010

How Chris and Bob saved my life

When I was but a young whelp I went on my first fishing trip. The venue was our local pond; a mysterious place covered in a blanket of saucer shape lilies under which hidden monsters lurked. We tackled this shallow pool armed only with boat rods, 20lb line and 5oz lead weights.

We spent most of the hot summer day casting into trees and trying to remove our leads from the deep dark silt they had sunken into. The day ended with no fish and no bites and I returned home wondering if I should take up a  more tangible pursuit.

As my thoughts drifted to radio control cars or if I could afford a BB gun my Dad pointed to a new programme in the Radio Times. Later that week after watching the show my life changed for ever; the fishing bug had found a willing host and any thoughts of BB guns where gone forever.

For the next few weeks my new friends (Bob & Chris) and I journeyed around the UK to strange lakes and winding rivers catching scores of fish each more beautiful than the next. I learnt of the grace of the winter Grayling, Roach can grow over 2lb and how to catch a mighty carp using an old scarecrow.

Passion For Angling showed me that being an Angler is not about having the most expensive equipment or catching the biggest fish. It showed me the romance of the natural world, the friendship that exists between bearded men and the moment of wonder that leaves you speechless as your float slowly sinks beneath the surface.

I am still casting into trees but even in the dark moments when I feel like giving it all up, I think of Redmire Monsters or Mr Crabtree and I suddenly find the strength for one more cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment