Sunday 7 February 2010

Fish at last...

After a run of two weeks with no fish I had begun to think about taking up a new hobby.

Tangled Knitting anyone?

But as deities go the fishing Gods are incredibly fickle. Working in strange and mysterious ways a mortal fisherman such as myself can not begin to fathom their great plan.

After the drought came the flood. A flood of Roach. Over the course of  the day around 30 red fin lemmings leapt onto my hook.

The biggest was only a pound I was deliriously happy. Happy to feel like an Angler again.

Towards the end of the day a shoal of Chevin crept into my swim and the rod began to bend a little more. A fellow fisherman (Michael from Taiwan) who was fishing with his friend kindly netted the bigger specimens that dragged my stick float under.

This was the first time  Michael had seen a Chub. As the biggest fish of the day glistened in the net, he exclaimed, 'it is beautiful'. I had never really thought of Chub as beautiful before. Perch and Grayling always seem incredibly elegant and pretty compared to a bucket mouthed Chevin.  But Michael was right, the Chub was beautiful.

Maybe my new found appreciation of Chub was the fishing Gods plan all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment