Friday 11 December 2009

An unexpected visitor

I have an unhealthy addiction...

...an addiction to maggots.

Not in a smoking or drinking kind of way.

That would be weird.

My addiction stems from my inability to go fishing without them.


Ever.

They whisper to me, 'take us with you and you'll never blank' (talking maggots, now that is weird) and in my cowardice I pack them ready for the days fishing.

Now there is nothing wrong with maggots they are a great bait and they can catch all kinds of fish. But in my mind this also means that all other baits catch no fish. I know this is not true, so I may be a little mental.

On a cold day I decided that today was the day and I left my house armed only with home made cheese paste and a can of sweetcorn. The greedy Chub of the local river were my target.

Five hours and several swims later and I had not experienced a single bite. Just as I was longing for a pint of maggots the float dipped under. I struck, the rod bent over and line was torn off the reel. After a brief battle the fish came up to the surface still fighting.

A Chub and a big one!

I picked up my net, ready to grab the prize...

...the crafty fish slipped off the barbless hook and swam away. Bugger.

Five hours, no bites and then I lose the fish. God, I hate fishing.

I pulled my self together and elected to have a couple more casts before returning home with my tail between my legs. I gently lobbed my bait out only a few feet in front of me and sat down sulking.

My float slammed under, I struck again and line roared off my reel.

I managed to stop the fish and reel it in slowly. Then it stopped, shook it's head violently and shot off in the other direction!

What the hell is this, I thought as I struggled to get the fish under control.

A few minutes later a brown body appeared on the surface. A wild Trout, on cheese paste!

After I netted the frisky Trout a kind passer by took the photo of me and my new friend, I realised that I had been taught a valued lesson. The most important skill a fisherman possesses apart from pure luck is patience.

Maybe I will leave the maggots home next time as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment